The £200,000 short films initiative The Uncertain Kingdom, launched in December 2018, has finalised the 20 directors who will each receive £10,000 to finance a short film project.
Joining the previously announced Hope Dickson Leach (The Levelling) are the Oscar-winning Orlando Von Einsiedel (The White Helmets), International Emmy winner Guy Jenkin (Outnumbered) and BIFA winner Carol Salter (Almost Heaven).
Also on the roster are four former Screen Stars of Tomorrow: actor/writer/director Antonia Campbell-Hughes, writer/director Rubika Shah, and producers Helen Simmons and Yaw Basoah. The full list of project teams can be found below.
Directors Ian Bonhote (McQueen) and Nathaniel Martello-White (Cla’am) were previously announced as being involved but have dropped out due to scheduling conflicts.
The Uncertain Kingdom project was inspired by a variety of topics including Brexit, climate change, diversity and #MeToo. It was conceived by John Jencks, who raised the finance, and will be overseen by Isabel Freer and Georgia Goggin.
The films will represent regions throughout the UK and encompass a range of subjects including climate change, migration, homelessness, sexuality, cultural identity and interracial relationships. The shorts will include fiction, documentary, animation, dance and experimental films, and a variety of genres.
Shooting on the projects will take place over the summer and delivery is scheduled for October. The films will be exhibited in a national tour across the winter of 2019-20, with distribution handled by Verve Pictures.
Full list of selected teams:
- Alison Hargreaves, writer/director/producer. Alice Whittemore, producer.
- Antonia Campbell-Hughes, writer/director. Marie-Thérèse Mackle, producer.
- Carol Salter, director/producer. Fleur Nieddu, co-producer.
- David Proud, director. Justin Edgar, writer/producer.
- Dominika Ożyńska, director. Imogen Kimber, producer.
- Ellen Evans, director. Alice Hughes, producer.
- Guy Jenkin, writer and director. Ryan Bennett, producer.
- Hope Dickson Leach, writer/director. Wendy Griffin, producer.
- Iggy LDN, director. Ibrahim Salawu, writer.
- Jason Bradbury, director. Yaw Basoah and Brett Webb, producers. Edward Cripps, writer.
- Jason Wingard, writer/director. Hannah Stevenson, producer.
- Lab Ky Mo, director. Chi Thai, producer. Ming Ho, writer.
- Lanre Malaolu, director, writer and choreographer. Alistair Payne-James, producer.
- Orlando von Einsiedel, director. Matthew Wenham, producer.
- Paul Frankl, writer/director. Amy Binns, producer.
- Ray Panthaki, writer/director. Ben Jacques, producer.
- Rebecca Lloyd-Evans, director. Kate Vogel and Kat Mansoor, producers.
- Rubika Shah, writer/director. Jessie Mangum, producer.
- Sophie King, director. Helen Simmons, producer. Sian Docksey, writer.
- Stroma Cairns, director. Imogen West and Sorcha Bacon, producers.
Original source: screendaily.com